In 1957 the Namozine Volunteer Fire Department was formed, at the time there was no firehouse located on the northern end of Dinwiddie County so the engine was housed at Mr. Ira Dayvaults service station located on Cox Rd (226). When there was a fire call, the firefighters would go to the service station to get on the truck to respond to the call. In 1958-1959, a firehouse was built on Pelham Avenue. It eventually housed an engine, tanker, two jeeps, and a van. The jeeps were used to fight brush fires. Over the years Namozine continued to grow in 1984 a new fire station was built on Pelham Avenue next to the old station where it still operates today. In 1989 an ambulance was added to the station and the members begin to provide emergency medical services to the citizens of the northern part and county at large. Namozine Volunteer Fire Department then become Namozine Volunteer Fire & EMS.
In 2004 the fire station was renovated to meet the growing needs of the department and to provide accommodations for career EMS personnel. Additional sleeping quarters, modern kitchen, offices, and dayroom were added. The old fire station became the
Chief L.O. “Bubba” Wicks Memorial Training Center which is used for meetings, training, special functions, and a community room for the public to use. In 2018 cosmetic renovations were performed to this building to include interior and exterior painting, new carpeting and flooring.
In 2008, the members with support from local businesses and community donations erected a MayDay/Rescue tower for training. The tower is named “The William Queen Rescue Tower” in honor of one of Life Members/Board of Directors William “Bill” Queen who currently still serves the department today after 50 years. The tower is used to teach “MayDay Firefighter Down” rappelling, confined space rescue, forcible entry, along with other fire and EMS classes.
Today, we are operating out of the same station which houses an engine, tanker, ladder truck, brush truck, EMS quick response vehicle, two ambulances (one career staffed), and a support/command vehicle. Station 4 currently has 30 Firefighters/EMT’s, 8 administrative/support members, 8 career EMS staff employed by Dinwiddie County.